Maths Month North Yorkshire Coast is Back in 2022!!
Maths Month is returning to Scarborough, Whitby and Filey in 2022 for its third year, following successful events in 2019 and 2020.
This year’s event will run throughout March and is jointly funded by the North Yorkshire Coast Opportunity Area and Anglo American, who are constructing the Woodsmith polyhalite mine near Whitby. Events are being coordinated by the Esk Valley and Scarborough Teaching Alliances and the North Yorkshire Coast Research School, based at Settrington All Saints’ Primary School.
A key theme for 2022 is Maths Through Stories, this coincides with World Book day on 3rd March, and is the perfect opportunity to share books and stories involving maths, counting and puzzles
Parents, Families and the Community
Find out how to support your child with maths and about the Maths Month
events open to the whole community!
- Maths Fun Music sessions lead by Kathy Seabrook, held in local libraries. She will incorporate a pre-school friendly focus on numbers and counting and will do this through number songs such as 5 little ducks, 5 speckled frogs, 1,2,3,4,5.
- 10th March at 130 – Filey Library
- 11th March at 1030 – Newby and Scalby Library
- 16th March at 1030 – Scarborough Library
- 23rd March at 1030 – Eastfield Library
- 24th March at 1030 – Whitby Library
- Family Trail in local parks with spot prizes and goody bags. Saturday 5th March 10-12 at Peasholm in Scarborough, Pannet in Whitby and Evron centre gardens in Filey.
Events for Students
- Weekly Maths Challenge – Bobby Seagull will present a weekly maths challenge on Mondays, with solutions on Fridays – This will be available via the Maths Month social media.
- Primary Schools
- Maths Through Stories – Schools will receive a book to share and access to resources
- TT Rock Stars – The Big Challenge! – A friendly TT Rock Stars competition involving schools from Tuesday 8th March to Thursday 10th March. It’s all done online via play.ttrockstars.comttrockstars.com or the TT Rock Stars app. All game modes (Gig, Garage, Studio, etc.) will count but only from games played between 7.30am and 7.30pm on Tuesday 8th, Wednesday 9th and Thursday 10th. Class Pizza Party for the winning class, plus £50 voucher for the 2 runners up
- Yorkshire Building Society have offered to come into schools to deliver fun sessions around Financial awareness and education through their Money Minds programme. For more information and to book a session in March (or at any other time) contact Brendon Moss email@example.com
- Year 9
- Mathematics Escape Room Challenge and speaker at Caedmon College (mix of small groups in person and virtual speaker for all schools) – 22nd March
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and to book (Transport costs can be supported)
- Year 10
- Post 16
- Think Maths! – Maths Inspirational Road Show (in-person event at Scarborough UTC) – 29th March
- Contact email@example.com for more details and to book (Transport costs can be supported)
Events for Teachers
- Bobby Seagull is a mathematics teacher and writer. Bobby will talk about How to Bring Maths To Life using his students’ interest in popular culture – football, Bake Off, Strictly, pop music and even – say it quietly – Love Island!. Sign-up here.
- Thursday 17th March 15.40-17.00 (online)
- Dr. Natthapoj Vincent Trakulphadetkrai is Associate Professor of Mathematics Education at the University of Reading and will talk about the use of storytelling (particularly story picture books) to help enrich mathematics teaching and learning experiences (suitable for parents too). Sign-up here.
- Thursday 3rd March 3:45-5:45
- Money Heroes are providing free resources and CPD sessions for primary schools. More information, resources and sign up here.
- Tuesday 8 March 2022, 15:45 – 18:15 (in-person)
- Wednesday 23 March 2022, 15:45 – 18:15 (virtual)
- Peter Mattock is the author of Visible Maths and will talk about using representations and structure to enhance mathematics teaching in schools. Sign-up here.
- Thursday 10th March 3:40 – 5:00 pm (online)